BCNPA News Bulletin – Fall 2015
Take a look at the latest BCNPA news including President Introduction and updates. BCNPA News Bulletin – Fall 2015
Notice to Palliative Care Stakeholders – Important Updates to BC Palliative Care Benefits
The Ministry of Health and BC health authorities are pleased to announce improvements to BC Palliative Care Benefits effective October 29, 2015. Please refer to link for more information. Improvements to BC Palliative Care Benefits Oct 2015
Ministry of Health Response to Policy Forum
On July 15, 2015, the BC Coalition of Nursing Associations (BCCNA) hosted the forum A Nursing Community Call to Action: A Collaborative Approach to Improving BC’s Health System. The forum included LPNs, NPs, RNs and RPNs and special guests including representatives from the Ministry of Health. A letter has been received from Ted Patterson, Assistant Deputy Minister Health Sector Workforce Division, and is attached for your information.
The member organizations of the BCCNA are: Association of Registered Nurses of BC, Association of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of BC, BC Nurse Practitioner Association, Licensed Practical Nurses Association of BC, and the Nursing Education Council of BC.
BCNPA Conference 2016 – Call for Abstracts
The call for abstracts for BCNPA’s 11th Annual Conference is now open! The BCNPA Conference Committee is pleased to announce the Call for Abstracts for the 2016 Conference, Opportunities: Health Care Leadership in Action. The 2016 conference will take place June 3-5, 2016, in Kelowna, BC, at the Delta Grand Okanagan Resort & Conference Centre.
We invite you to present an oral or poster presentation at the 11th Annual Conference. For abstract guidelines and application form, click on: Call for Abstracts Guidelines and Application Form 2016
PRACTICE SUPPORT RESOURCE!
Nurse Practitioners check out this practice support resource that is available to you!
The RACE (Rapid Access to Consultation and Evaluation) has introduced a APP called eRACE.
POLICY FORUM – UPDATE
The BC Ministry of Health developed and published policy papers designed to improve three core areas of the B.C. health system:
- Primary and Community Care in BC
- Future Directions for Surgical Services in BC
- Rural Health Services in BC
In presenting the papers, Government requested that stakeholders consider their readiness to participate in a collaborative approach to implementing changes.
The BC Coalition of Nursing Associations (ARNBC, ARPNBC, BCNPA, LPNABC, NECBC), hosted a policy forum on July 15th to gather and develop the ideas and recommendations of BC nurses in response to the policy papers.
Over the past year the BC Nurse Practitioner Association has been advocating for changes to the current insurance policy held by College of Registered Nurses of BC for Nurse Practitioners. We are pleased to announce that through our advocacy work changes to the policy have been implemented to provide individual Nurse Practitioners with insurance that provides for greater personal liability protection. While this policy does not support all our requires as a profession we are pleased to see that the College of Registered Nurses of BC (CRNBC) and Association of Registered Nurses of BC (ARNBC) have heard our concerns and responded appropriately. We look forward to working with the CRNBC and ARNBC towards having a policy that will fully support Nurse Practitioner needs in the future.
The current policy is held by Jardine Lloyd Thompson (JLT) Canada Inc. and is being managed through ARNBC.
The insurance coverage is restricted to:
- Nursing services that constitute the practice of nursing in accordance with the Nurses (Registered) and Nurse Practitioners Regulation under the Health Professions Act and the CRNBC Standards of Practice
- Your insurance is provided by Encon Group Inc. The liability limits are:
- Ten million ($10,000,000 CAD) for nurse practitioners
- There is no deductible. The coverage is worldwide, as long as any claim is first brought against you in Canada. This insurance will only pay limits in excess of any other insurance (or protection) available to you through your employer or other sources.
- You are also provided with Commercial General Liability insurance by Encon Group Inc. The limit of liability is $2,000,000. A deductible of $500 applies to property damage claims. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Additional Personal Liability protection can be obtained from the Canadian Nurses Protective Society (CNPS) www.cnps.ca