The BC Coalition of Nursing Associations (ARNBC, ARPNBC, BCNPA, LPNABC, NECBC), will host a policy forum to gather and develop the ideas and recommendations of BC nurses in response to the policy papers.
B.C.’s diverse nursing community is developing a comprehensive response to the papers and you are invited to participate.
The BC Ministry of Health has developed and published policy papers, designed to improve three core areas of the B.C. health system:
- Primary and Community Care in BC
- Future Directions for Surgical Services in BC
- Rural Health Services in BC
In presenting the papers, Government has requested that stakeholders consider their readiness to participate in a collaborative approach to implementing changes.
Over the past year the BC Nurse Practitioner Association has been advocating for changes to the current insurance policy held by College of Registered Nurses of BC for Nurse Practitioners. We are pleased to announce that through our advocacy work changes to the policy have been implemented to provide individual Nurse Practitioners with insurance that provides for greater personal liability protection. While this policy does not support all our requires as a profession we are pleased to see that the College of Registered Nurses of BC (CRNBC) and Association of Registered Nurses of BC (ARNBC) have heard our concerns and responded appropriately. We look forward to working with the CRNBC and ARNBC towards having a policy that will fully support Nurse Practitioner needs in the future.
The current policy is held by Jardine Lloyd Thompson (JLT) Canada Inc. and is being managed through ARNBC.
The insurance coverage is restricted to:
- Nursing services that constitute the practice of nursing in accordance with the Nurses (Registered) and Nurse Practitioners Regulation under the Health Professions Act and the CRNBC Standards of Practice
- Your insurance is provided by Encon Group Inc. The liability limits are:
- Ten million ($10,000,000 CAD) for nurse practitioners
- There is no deductible. The coverage is worldwide, as long as any claim is first brought against you in Canada. This insurance will only pay limits in excess of any other insurance (or protection) available to you through your employer or other sources.
- You are also provided with Commercial General Liability insurance by Encon Group Inc. The limit of liability is $2,000,000. A deductible of $500 applies to property damage claims. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Additional Personal Liability protection can be obtained from the Canadian Nurses Protective Society (CNPS) www.cnps.ca