The goal of the Conference Committee is to provide members with opportunities for professional growth and practice, to offer interesting and educational topics, and provide you the opportunity to network with other NPs around the province. Take a look at the 3 day program: Conference 2017 Program
Program for Thursday, June 1 – Workshops & BCNPA AGM & Reception
Workshops – There are a variety of skill building workshops:
- Intramuscular Stimulation (IMS) – What it is, and how it can work for your patients! Presenter: Vince Avery, BScPT,FCAMPT,CGIMS The aim is to explain what IMS is, how it works, and what demographic of clients it may be useful for.
- IUD Insertion Presenter: Dr. Konia Trouton, MD,MPH,FCFPn. With 15 brands of intrauterine contraception now available, this workshop will review steps to safe and effective IUD insertion for each of the 4 different mechanisms. We will identify and review tips and tricks for success in the more challenging insertion: Note: This is a hands on workshop and limited to 20 participants.
- Common Breast Problems in General Practice Presenter: Dr. Joshka Nel, MB,Ch.B,RCPSC This will include two talks on management of common breast problems in general practice, followed by hands- on performing core biopsies for palpable lesions. Note: Hands on and limited to 20 participants.
- Plastic Surgery Pearls: Skin, Hands, Eyelids and Breast Presenter: Dr. Alexander Anzarut, MD, RCPSC This workshop is designed to teach practical aspects of the history, physical exam, diagnosis and treatment of various plastic surgery conditions. We will cover a variety of issues relating to: skin cancer, non-traumatic hand problems, eyelid & breast surgery, body contouring after massive weight loss, and trauma.
- The BC Centre on Substance Use Workshop on the Provincial Guidelines for the Treatment of Opioid Addiction Presenters: Experts from BC Centre on Substance Use CFENET speakers will provide an update on the provincial opioid epidemic as well as discuss the provincial guidelines for the treatment of opioid addiction, This will also include a 1 hr prescribing session. Note: This fulfills partial requirements for suboxone prescribing.
- Trigger Points: What’s old is new again Presenter: Dr. Kevin Letcher, MD,FRCPC,Dip Sport Med The objective is to review current concepts of myofascial pain and the role of office-based injection procedures.
BCNPA AGM – This is a unique opportunity to engage with the BCNPA Board and take part in the discussions that continue to form the association. The meeting is for members only so make sure you renew your membership, sign up, and attend!
Reception – Following the AGM, conference attendees are invited to share a social evening together with some cocktails and appetizers.
Program for June 2 & 3: Key Note, Plenary, and Concurrent Sessions
June 2 & 3 are packed with:
- Key Note speaker – We are very pleased to announce that Dr. Eileen Owen-Williams is the Key Note Speaker for the BCNPA Conference 2017. Her key note address will be Engaging, Changing, Sustaining and Transforming: Nurse Practitioners in the New Millennium. For more information refer to: https://bcnpa.org/events/conference-2017/keynote-speaker
- There are plenary and concurrent sessions to update you on the latest changes to practice.
- Robust practice and leadership endeavors.
- Gala dinner at the Vancouver Island Conference Centre. You won’t want to miss out on an evening of good food, networking and entertainment by Shawn Hildebrandt, aka Zigster the Trickester (interactive magician and entertainer)! Note: there are a limited number of tickets for this event. Purchase your tickets early to avoid disappointment!